I set up a test network with bgpd/ospfd, a standard service provider design
where ospf carries the network links and loopbacks and bgp carries
everything,
bgp routers doing nexthop self, core full mesh and access routers rr-clients
of the two nearest core routers.

I'm seeing some pretty odd behaviour that I haven't seen before when only
using bgpd.

Are there any know issues with using this kind of design with bgpd/ospfd ?

Quick example:

View from an access router at another prefix on the other side of the
network
ar1# route get 10.1.102.0
   route to: 10.1.102.0
destination: 10.1.102.0
       mask: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 172.16.1.6
  interface: vlan602
 if address: 172.16.1.5
      flags: <UP,GATEWAY,DONE,PROTO1>
     use  hopcount       mtu    expire
    1470         0         0         0

ar1# bgpctl show fib 10.1.102.0
flags destination           gateway
*B    10.1.102.0/24         172.16.1.6

ar1# bgpctl show rib 10.1.1.02.0
flags destination           gateway         lpref   med    aspath origin
I*>   10.1.102.0/24         192.168.0.1     120     3010   i
I*    10.1.102.0/24         192.168.0.2     120     3010   i

ar1# ospfctl show fib 192.168.0.1
flags: * = valid, O = OSPF, C = Connected, S = Static
FLags  Destination          Nexthop
*O     192.168.0.1/32       172.16.1.6

ar1#

So far so good. I now shut down the core router 192.168.0.1
The moment I do that the connectivity dies, even though there is another
path.

ar1# route get 10.1.102.0
   route to: 10.1.102.0
destination: 10.1.102.0
       mask: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 172.16.1.6
  interface: vlan602
 if address: 172.16.1.5
      flags: <UP,GATEWAY,DONE,PROTO1>
     use  hopcount       mtu    expire
    1646         0         0         0

ar1# bgpctl show fib 10.1.102.0
flags destination           gateway
*B    10.1.102.0/24         172.16.1.6

ar1# bgpctl show rib 10.1.1.02.0
flags destination           gateway         lpref   med    aspath origin
I*>    10.1.102.0/24         192.168.0.2     120     3010   i

ar1# ospfctl show fib 192.168.0.2
flags: * = valid, O = OSPF, C = Connected, S = Static
FLags  Destination          Nexthop
*O     192.168.0.2/32       172.16.1.2

ar1#

bgp rib and fib look out of sync.
Any ideas why it behaves this way ?

It seems like the networks that only exist in bgp fail to re-route when I
take
down a core router that is the current bgp-nexthop.

/Tony