On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 07:23 +0100, Martin Toft wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 01:29:05AM +0100, Cabillot Julien wrote:
> > Have you try openbsd 4.2 ? PF have been really improved in this
> > release.

pf(4) has nothing to do with isakmpd(8), except as it relates to recent
addition of routing tags.

- PIX/ASA is going to get you a default packet "ASA" forwarding based on
interface weights
- PIX/ASA is going to guarantee easily setup and functional Hybrid-XAUTH
VPN Road-warrior clients
- PIX has functional object-groups/group-object inheritance
- PIX/ASA has proprietary serial console fail-over (which is marginally
faster than waiting for CARP)
- PIX/ASA has some magical black-box inline transparent protocol
"fixups"
- PIX has a 4 hour SmartNet support contract option
- PIX/ASA has a SNMP MIB tree (Which we are working to catch up on)

I don't know about ASA, but the 5xx PIX doesn't support IPv6

Otherwise they're both software-based stateful IP packet forwarding
engines running on i386 with NAT and IPSec and 802.1q support.

OpenBSD will always scale better because you can run it on the harwdare
platform of your choice.

~BAS