On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 09:19:37AM -0800, Don Jackson wrote:

> When I boot the machine, I see:
>
> root on wd0a swap on wd0b dump on wd0b
>
> I guess the kernel devaults to wd0b for swap and dump?

it defaults to root disk, partition b (wd0b for you).

> But later in the boot messages I see:
>
> savecore: /dev/wd0b: Device not configured

you do not actually have a /dev/wd0b, right? i think that is causing the
problem.

> How can I configure savecore to use the real swap partition on this system?

i don;t think the error message comes from savecore.
the problem is there is no wd0b (i'm guessing).

i think you have two solutions:

        - create a minimal /dev/wd0b
        - build a kernel telling it to use sd0b as swap. look at the
          "config bsd root on dev [swap on dev] ..." line in config(8).

jmc