On Sat, 8 Dec 2007, Marc Balmer wrote:

* means all addresses in the default address family.  and with this
diff, that means all IPv6 addresses.  The default can be changed
on the command line using the -4 and -6 options (or by being explicit
in the config file).

Using IPv4 as the default address family in IPv6 capable software is
wrong.  so making '*:port' a synonym for '0.0.0.0:port' is wrong.

the flag is simple enough:  if you do not want to change your config
files, you just change your /etc/rc.conf.local file:

httpd_flags="whatever"

becomes

httpd_flags"-4 whatever"

This should not be to much of a burden for someone upgrading a system
(which usually means changing other stuff, too)

IMHO * means "include everything", that is, V4 and V6 so I kind of
agree with Darrin and Henning. (not that my words mean dick) :-)

--
Antti Harri