Rob Lytle wrote:
Predrag Punosevac to me, misc

Rob Lytle wrote:
I searched back through the archives using "KDE" as a keyword and as
far as I can tell I am the only OpenBSD post.
This is typical for me.  I end up with a unique problem that no one
can solve because it never came up before.
Sigh, I guess its FreeBSD or Vista on this triple boot laptop.

Rob.

When you use FreeBSD do you use KDE as well? Does it happen the same
thing  under FreeBSD or only when you use KDE on the
top of OpenBSD?

Did you use pkg or ports to install KDE? What is the version of KDE,
Xorg and OpenBSD that you use.
If you use KDE in FreeBSD did you compare the files xorg.conf? What is
the version of KDE, Xorg and FreeBSD that you use?

Best,
Predrag

P. S. And yes I will also suggest that you use something much lighter. I
see no purpose in running KDE on the top of the system
like OpenBSD.
Personally I run Openbox, Xfce4-panel and I set the wall paper with feh

my /.xsession (.xinitrc if you do not want xdm) file looks like

feh --bg-scale /path to my image & xfce4-panel & exec openbox

Default fvwm is excellent as well. Just set up wall paper with feh and
you will be happy camper.

OK, here is the info:

FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE compiled from cvsup source
Xorg 7.3
KDE 3.5 compiled from ports
in xorg.conf DRI and GLX are loaded

OpenBSD-current compiled from cvsup today
Xorg 7.2
KDE3.5 compiled from ports
also the mouse device is different

Thanks,  Rob

OK I see something that I do not like at all.

Rob,
You are running OpenBSD 4.2 current! Do you understand that is developmental version of OpenBSD and is not really supposed to be stable.Unless you need to run current to build new ports or packages or you are kernel developer I would strongly recommend that you go back to release or if you want to build the system from the source that you go back to 4.2 stable.

Is the port tree for current or for stable? Even if you were careful to grab the current port tree it is unstable.
I mean you are just looking for troubles all over the place.

Just try do release version 4.2 and add KDE from pre-compiled binary packages. I guarantee your troubles will go away.

On the another hand FreeBSD 6.3 Pre-release is the latest version of 6.2 stable which will become legacy when 7.0 is released. I would really be surprised that you observe any troubles with it. Even 7.0 should be extremely stable at this point. I bet you my life if you try to run FreeBSD 8.0 current you will run in some kind problems with KDE.

Best,
Predrag