misc, Richard:

As someone from a relatively outside perspective, I find this
thread puzzling. My feelings have swung from one side to the
other as the thread has surged on. I just don't know the
players well enough to draw a firm conclusion.

The nub of the perceived slight is this: RMS can't endorse
OpenBSD /at all/ over what turns out to be a very small point
of principle. But I feel any impartial observer would conclude
that OpenBSD has a clearly articulated open source policy, and
goes to great lengths to adhere to it.

In thinking back, a key point for me is that RMS never
out-and-out said he was /seeking/ to endorse OpenBSD.

If RMS *is* seeking to endorse OpenBSD, then his message
might be 'Of all the OS distros I don't approve, I find yours
to be the freest. If you would but cast this mote out of your
eye, we could advance free software'. If that is close to what
he means, he has just been rather clumsy and undiplomatic in
his approach, or he has a talent for saying things in
controversial ways in order to draw attention to his words.

But if he is *not* looking to endorse OpenBSD, then it is hard
to not draw the conclusion that he is a clever provocateur, and
the OpenBSD list has shown a lot of forbearance in tolerating
him for as long as they did before the flames got really hot.

So, I ask you respectfully, Richard: what is your intent in
making your original comments, and starting this thread?
That would be the deciding factor for me.

-Ken