On 1/4/08, Nick Guenther <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 1/3/08, knitti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > this is becoming OT, but I can't recommend storing HDDs as "real"
> > backup solution either. HDDs _do_ have bitrot, and one should at least,
> > say, once a year, verify that the *whole* disk is readable, ensuring that
> > sectors which are not yet completely unreadable get remapped. Vaulting
> > a DVD or a HDD for five years or more leaves you in both cases with the
> > real possibility of data loss.
>
> How would you verify the whole disk is readable? And if it's all
> readable, how do you ensure the data is still the same pattern you put
> on before?

the posting von hannah shows what to do. Ths big picture is this:
Backup (and/or archiving) is not fire-and-forget. You have to know how
long you want to store this data to choose the right technology and
media. And you have to have a process to verify that your data is good
after this time. If you want backups for five years, and your life/business
won't come to an end should you lose some data in spite having backed
up, use DVDs or HDDs, verify after backup and just store the media.
For more than five years and more-or-less critical data, use tape and
verify every x time. If you approach ten years and up, you have to
know how you get hardware to read the tapes...

At least the LTO spec states that drives of the *current* generation
_have to_ read and write also tapes one generation older and
read tapes which are two generations older. So if you have LTO-2
tapes around, you will be able to read them with LTO-4 drives (which
should be checked, but does actually work in this case).

Some companies and universities with huge archives spend
large sums just to copy their archived data to the newest technology
every couple of years.

--knitti