On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 11:36:31PM +0100, Henning Brauer wrote:
> * Douglas A. Tutty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-01-03 23:34]:
> > If neither hard drives nor CD/DVDs are a good backup soluton, and
> > networking the backup to another computer's hard drive (which then
> > presumably also has the bitrot problem) isn't an option, and a DLT or
> > whatever tape drive is too expensive:
> >
> > Then what other options are there?
>
> a cheaper/used DLT/tape drive ;)

I do see that used DLT drives on eBay are quite inexpensive.  Many would
then have to add an appropriate SCSI card since they're probably not
SATA compatible.

I thought that there was a trend in the industry away from tapes toward
hard-drive-based systems, e.g. virtual tape libraries that are basically
large file servers with far more capacity than throughput.  If bitrot is
a serious concern, perhaps they have a way to monitor the condition of
the drives.

What do the OBSD people tend to use for archival (put-in-on-the-shelf)
kinds of storage?

Doug.