Ingo Schwarze wrote:
Reid Nichol wrote on Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 12:02:19AM -0800:
Duncan Patton a Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Eliah Kagan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

(There are also multiple useful,
mutually-inconsistent formal systems in both fields.)
Provably so?
I'd love an example of Math being inconsistent.
Quite frankly, I'd be surprised if this is true.

Eliah has beautifully demonstrated this for both Mathematics
and Physics.  What is flabbergasting me about such questions
is that these are extremely old facts - essentially, known for
more than 70 years - and many people still believe that formal
science can be both complete and consistent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Bourbaki
 - nicely narrating how the attempt to transform mathematics
   into a single unified and consistent theory miserable failed

http://wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_incompleteness_theorem
 - explaining why

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_G%C3%B6del  (1906-1978)
 - "One of the most significant logicians of all time, GC6el's work
    has had immense impact upon scientific and philosophical thinking
    in the 20th century, a time when many, such as Bertrand Russell,
    A. N. Whitehead and David Hilbert, were attempting to use logic
    and set theory to understand the foundations of mathematics."

Still, many people appearantly never heard of the problems he
described, even though we are now well into the 3rd millenium...

I would be little bit more careful about dragging the incompletness theorem into the discussion without properly understanding
the statement of the theorem, its meaning, and corollaries.
The connections that you are trying to make between the incompletness theorem and Burbaki project are very shallow at best and I certainly have not heard them before.

Kind Regards,

Predrag

Department of Mathematics
University of Arizona

P. S. I am no expert on mathematical logic but definitely know little bit better than your average bystander.