Jason Beaudoin wrote:
On Feb 1, 2008 8:24 PM, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am after a software that would allow me to view photos from my
digital camera which I usually mount in /mnt/camera. I tried from the
ports tree: digikam, gphoto, gtkam, kphotoalbum, wmphoto, kamera -
none of them really work well in showing the pictures; some of them
want to detect my camera when all I want is to view my photos
(thumbnails and full size) from /mnt/camera.

Anyone would recommend any decent program to do this? Thanks.

I usually use gqview for general photo viewing, simple fast, and effective.
The underlying assumption here is that you've successfully mounted the
camera, which is seen as a mass storage device (sd*)

if the camera manufacturer has obfuscated the flash storage behind
other stuff, you'd probably do yourself a favor by getting another
camera (I've never had good results with those types)

Cheap USB memory card readers are well recognized as a mass storage device and probably should be
the last resort for the most stubborn  digital cameras.

Personally, I use Sony Cybershot DSC-W70. Unfortunately the camera can not be mounted directly as a file system. As with quite a few Sony cameras the trick is to put the camera into PTP mode. Once in PTP mode camera memory can be accessed by gphoto2 command line and library of drivers program. I believe that fancy GUI applications as gtkam and digkam are using the same library of drivers. Other people on the list probably correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,
Predrag

Good luck..

~Jason