Jason Beaudoin wrote:
Cheap USB memory card readers are well recognized as a mass storage
device and probably should be
the last resort for the most stubborn  digital cameras.

agreed.

Personally, I use Sony Cybershot DSC-W70.  Unfortunately the camera can
not be mounted directly as a file system.
As  with  quite a  few  Sony  cameras the  trick  is to put the camera
into PTP mode. Once in
PTP mode camera memory can be accessed by gphoto2 command line and
library of drivers program. I believe that fancy GUI applications
as gtkam and digkam are using the same library of drivers. Other people
on the list probably correct me if I am wrong.

I dunno what luck you've had, but I always ran into problems when
trying to transfer movies (and I think larger photos). but as you
pointed out.. cheap flash readers work to resolve this.

In my experience it is even funny to think of gphoto2 code quality in the sense in which we are used in OpenBSD world.

On occasion, I had to issue commands multiple times to get things downloaded as the gphoto2 would fail to execute them. I have never had more serous troubles than that. I have downloaded quite a bit of my family's photos and movies since my first daughter was born. Probably 50Gb for the past 10 months:-)

Cheers,
Predrag

regards,
~Jason