Subject: setting up a noiseless workstation
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 20:16:49 +0200
From: Imre Oolberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: misc@openbsd.org

Hallo!

I am thinking of setting up for myself a noiseless workstation ie
without moving parts or at least with minimal amount of them. The
intension is to make it an X-terminal booting from local network,
preferable root-over-nfs thru pxe since i am most familiar with it
compared to flash memory disks etc.

With last 4.2 CD set and shirt came nice set of bulletins on Soekris and
Liantec computers. As i understood, Soekris is more for networking
hub-firewall and Liantec could be more appropriate for workstation,
espesially because it seems to be more so-to-say PC-like, has gigabit
ports and more options for graphics.

My main concern is how to accomodate 24" 1920x1200 monitor (LCD 24"
Samsung 245T S-PVA or something similar) with it, my main tools i intend
to use there are browser, xterm, etc and not computer aided design or
something requireing exeptional precision and picture quality but of
course, picture needs to be clear and stable.

I noticed the thing called Tiny-Bus from Liantec which can accomodate
some kind of graphic adapters

http://www.liantec.com/product/tbm/TBM_DVE.htm

but i am not sure it is the best chioce to build on. As an operating
system my first choice would OpenBSD and second is Linux. In fact at the
moment i run such a kind of setup using Linux but i feel need to upgrade
my hardware, i have old 700 MHz Celeron, 19" monitor (1024x768) and
100MBit/s network.

I would be very thankful if somebody could share their experience about
putting together such a kind of computer or what do you recommend.

Best regards,
Imre Oolberg

I called today some local shops and it seems my only option is to order
this computer from internet, as a whole or by parts.