> Obviously you've had no contact with AD or the cruftware it is infesting.

More than enough to call you out on the ignorant, unsubstantiated crap
you're posting.

Please show me the proof that my customers are experiencing "a net loss of
productivity" because their squid boxes authenticate to AD. Or, for that
matter, the transcript of a meeting where you have convinced the management
at a company with 8000 windows clients and a couple of hundred windows
servers that they should just drop Microsoft because you think *AD* isn't
up to scratch...

Obviously you've had no contact with an environment larger than your home
network. Windows networks are the majority in the corporate world as far as
end-user infrastructure goes, and they're not going anywhere anytime soon.
I, for one, have accepted the reality, and adapted.

> So what standards-based authentication service would you propose besides
> LDAP+Kerberos?  Hesiod?  Shibboleth?

Well, it sounds like the OP or his cusomer has a Windows network, so how
about uh... AD???

-Andre