Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
Did you have any trouble getting the software for setting up the scsi
raid card?

IIRC the 1850 didn't come with a built-in RAID card, a period-correct card would probably be a SA 3200, which I think has built-in setup firmware (press F8 during boot). I think the software for all of Compaq's RAID cards are still available (at least Smart/2 and later), you'll just have to have 3.5" floppies. I know at least the last pre-G1 Proliants (1850, 1600, 6500, 6400, 8500, etc.) work with Smartstart 5.5, which can be downloaded from HP as an ISO.

 Can the raid card be set up as JOBD, i.e. if I want to start
with just one or two drives non-RAID?

Yes. I think you'll still need to configure several Raid0 volumes, one per physical disk. I guess that's not quite JBOD, but the result is the same.