I don't have a nice thing to say about compaq.
They were odd, drivers were hard to find, they would deliberately do things to force propriatary solutions: E.g. In the '486 days they would use a different pin-out on their simms. Compaq memory wouldn't work in anything else. Non-compaq memory wouldn't work in it.

Guidelines:
         Whatever you get, get 3-4 of them, so you have parts.
Get something that uses a standard power supply. At the school here, broken PS is the commonest failure mode for my PC's. Get something that the company has enough concern that the documents are still online.
        Get vanilla.  Not Rocky Road.

--
Sherwood's rules of computing:
1.  It will be cheaper next Tuesday.