On 18 Feb 2008 at 10:16, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2008 7:57 AM, Leonardo Rodrigues <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > > Actually what Ted has done was utterly disastrous, he knows his
> own
> > > code well enough to have completed it.
> > > BTW, you are as big an oaf as Richard Stallman, you keep ranting
> about
> > > how you've put in your blood, sweat and tears, but forget to
> > > understand the point that without us users you are nothing.
> >
> > Wow...
> > People should inform themselves instead of writing things like
> that.
> > OpenBSD states very clearly that it has a developer culture, and
> not
> > an user one. Just be grateful for the code that you get FOR FREE.
> > Also, if you feel that the project helps you, give something back
> > the project (like code or donations) to keep it running, and to
> keep
> > it helping YOU.
> > The developers code and share their code not because they want to
> be
> > famous or to receive accolades from the project's users, but
> because
> > they are solving the problems that they have an interest. They
> don't
> > own the users anything, instead, they give their code for free to
> > whoever might find it useful.
> >
> > Is it so hard to understand that?
>
> Leonardo, I've NEVER got any of the code for FREE, I've always paid
> for it by buying CDs, unlike you who might have done an FTP install,
> you're a cheap-skate aren't you.

Mayuresh, do you honestly think that the few dollars you spent on that
CD actually paid for any code, as in code development? Are you naove, a
fool, or really that arrogant?

It has been pointed out many times on this list, that CD sales do not
even cover the electricity costs to keep the core infrastructure
running. But given the size of those bills, the sales represent an
important subsidy, allowing to literally "keep the lights on". And I do
not need auditor's reports to confirm that assertion not because I'm
gullible, but because I know from personal experience of running a
similar business just how true it is. Moreover, I know how much time
and money will be sucked out of the project to generate accounting
reports.

Now, to hopefully put an end to these useless rants, let me rephrase
something the others have tried to explain to you:

You can only expect and demand any level of professional performance
from your _employees_ (or subcontractors), i.e. when you are
specifically and directly responsible for paying their livelihood.
Anything else is a mutually convenient arrangement that _either_ party
is free to terminate at any time. Actually, since slavery and bonded
servitude have been abolished all over the world, even employment is
"at will" and your employees may and sometimes will quit without
completing _your_ goals.

To use your own example to elaborate: Did Ted ever acccept any funding
from you for which he specifically promised any concrete deliverables?
I very much doubt that. Did you make a fundamental business mistake by
undertaking a business venture so reliant on his contribution without
making any effort to assure that his contribution will be completed and
forthcoming in accordance with your business' schedule? Absolutely.
Well, all the rantings against the project, Ted or any other developer,
will not rectify _your_ mistake, nor change the fact the _you_ made
such a critical mistake in _your_ business venture. (Next time you
start building your dream house, make sure you have a complete and
solid foundation.)

> Go buy yourself a CD set, contribute to the OpenBSD foundation, or
> better still, since you are talking about flying pigs, go code up a
> good application in C for OpenBSD or enhance an existing one.
>
> ~Mayuresh

System Administrator                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bitwise Internet Technologies, Inc.
22 Drydock Avenue                     tel: (617) 737-1837
Boston, MA 02210                      fax: (617) 439-4941