On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:11:34 +0530
"Mayuresh Kathe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2008 12:52 PM, Duncan Patton a Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:47:54 +0530

> > > If thats sarcasm its really not warranted.
> > > If its not sarcasm, then we'll be posting to the list about our progress.
> > >
> > > Also, Ted, I'm sorry if you felt offended by my ranting about you not
> > > completing kernel threads, but the loss of those developers really
> > > felt bad.
> > >
> > > ~Mayuresh
> > >

> > Looks to me like your "Tivo Box" project might need to actually pay someone
> > to write a threads library.
>
> This is the second time someone has mentioned about a project that
> does not exist.
> What's gotten into you people?
>
> ~Mayuresh

It's a question of the "alienability" of the BSD License.  Unlike Linux, the
BSD license allows you the freedom of moving the software into a proprietary
configuration which permits a conventional profit model.

You are ragging on Ted for not having provided you with a feature for your
"project" which is not seen to be of the widest possible utility, and which
might adversley influence some of OBSD's more crucial feature if not
implemented
with enormous care.

Basically you are asking him to provide your 4profit model with free work that
would not necessarily benefit the project OR other 4profit models.

Mebbe if you really need threads (because some code you intend to import uses
them)
then you should offer to PAY Ted to do this (for the project?).  This would
likely
provide him with the kind of incentive he needs to do something seen as not
crucial
by his peers.

Dhu