On 2/19/08, Mayuresh Kathe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  something as good as FireEngine,

I'm following this thread with quite some amusement, but one thing is
not in the least clear to me: why do you think you want "something as
good as FireEngine". Heck, even under the assumption FireEngine is
Really Good (TM), you should compare it to  the *new* stack of FreeBSD,
whose marketing blurb has at least a bit more meaty than Sun's.
http://www.meetbsd.org/storage/kris.kennaway_meetbsd2007.pdf

SO now do you want FireEngine? Or rather SMPng networking? Or
would you like ReallyHyperFastZoomStreamCyberWoosh?
You can't decide?

You have not even shown a corner case, much less in general why
it would be desirable to completely throw away the current
architecture. I use OpenBSD since 3.0 on very small CPUs and also
on rather big ones (all i386 and amd64, though), and I don't remember
a single case in which network stack performance wouldn't at least
have met my expectations.

What performance difference are you expecting? Do you know
the implications, which the different approaches impose on the
kernel architecture? Even if there would be a developer,  who would
in principle be open to the idea, you have to show her that it is worth
the hassle. But you don't even know what you're talking about.

If *I* were a developer, I would be offended by the notion that
AnotherSolution is *that* *much* *better* (as you imply) _without_
showing any evidence.

--knitti