On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 11:41:14AM -0700, Predrag Punosevac sez:

> >>What happens when you try to do the following?
> >>

> >>Try to do remote login with as follows
> >>ssh -Y [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >>

> >I get this:
> >
> >Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
> >forwarding.
> >
> >And, everything I type at the prompt is doubled.
> >

> >>you should be now in the shell on the remote host
> >>
> >>try to start x client like xdvi or xfig or something like emacs by
> >>typing xdvi
> >>
> >>If xdvi pops up that means that the client is running on the remote host
> >>but it is displayer on the local X server
> >>

> >Okay, if after getting in I try to open something like xzgv, I get:
> >
> >Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server
> >
> Ok you do have a permission problem
>
> Read carefully man pages for sshd_config  file .  You need to uncomment
> few lines for X tunneling.
> You can also look at the "Secure Architectures with OpenBSD" section
> about OpenSSH.
>
> I do not think that the problem is with X server though.
> Best,
> Predrag

Yes, you were right. Operator error, it was the nut holding the
steering wheel as usual. :-)

> >Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
> >
> >Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0
> >
> >Like I said earlier, I read the man page too on xauth & tried
> >sending
> >
> >xauth extract - $DISPLAY | rsh otherhost xauth merge -
> >
> >but it doesn't appear to help. I still get the error messages
> >and double typed characters.

4AM, but that's okay. Problem solved. Had previously done some
experimenting around with ~/.profile and ~/.kshrc when I'd been
having history file problems in ksh. As soon as I reverted back
to my old ~/.profile instead of the newer short one that just
exported HISTSIZE, HISTFILE, and ENV=$HOME/.kshrc the XForwarding
problem disappeared. Don't try this at home, kids, especially at
4AM when you're not only old and senile, but tired as hell too. :-)

--

Denny White

All messages scanned by ClamAssassin
http://jameslick.com/clamassassin/
GnuPG key  : 0x1644E79A  |  http://wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net
Fingerprint: D0A9 AD44 1F10 E09E 0E67  EC25 CB44 F2E5 1644 E79A
iD8DBQFHx9lIy0Ty5RZE55oRAnlYAJ90xDGjlb9tX1csjPP/LQeEksc7BgCfRxZl
+jA3v5SXg6qlmaR/IEC2vIQ=
=efps
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----