In one section of the book (Page 301) the author contrasts nmap to
"Firewalk". He says, "nmap cannot differentiate between what is open
on an end machine and what is being firewalled. Firewalk, on the other
hand, can determine if a given port is allowed through a
packet-filtering device.With this information, Firewalk allows an
attacker to determine your firewall rule set." I get the impression he
thinks Firewalk is superior to nmap (although he doesn't come right
out and SAY that).

He then shortly thereafter says, "Firewalk even works against
traditional and stateful packet filters, which both just decrement the
TTL by one. However, Firewalk does not work against proxy based
firewalls, because proxies do not forward packets. Instead, a proxy
application absorbs packets on one side of the gateway and creates a
new connection on the other side, destroying all TTL information in
the process. Packet filters actually forward the same packets, after
applying filtering rules, keeping the TTL relatively intact (albeit
decremented by one). So, although Firewalk is a highly effective
technique against packet filter firewalls, it does not work at all
against proxy firewalls. For services that the firewall is proxying,
Firewalk reports that the associated ports are closed."

Statements like this are what started me thinking I'd ask some of you
(who probably know a whole lot more about this than I do :-)) your
opinion about an OpenBSD with Squid.

It sounds like a powerful combination to me! :-)

Ed