On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 11:00:01AM +0200, Lars Nood??n wrote:
> > ... using the GENERIC kernel ...

> 2) One thing that may not be visible enough is that config(8) can be
> used to modify kernel parameters without needing to recompile.  That
> gives you a fair amount of customization without deviating from the
> GENERIC configuration.
>
> It is possible to make modifications to the currently running kernel as
> well as to save these changes in the form of a new kernel binary so that
> the changes stay even after system restarts.

One thing I'm not clear on: if the only issue is kernel size based on
having an old box with low memory, where every MB counts, does
deactivating unnecessary drivers with config actually result in a
smaller kernel or just a kernel with deactivated drivers?  Shrinking the
kernel would be the only reason I would have of touching the kernel as
I'm not into trying out experimental features.  It would be too bad if
config doesn't do this.

Doug.