Hi list,

I am trying to get STP to work with (to start with) one openbsd firewall
/ gateway and two switches to the same subnet for failover. Let me draw:

           -----------------------------------
          |             Internet              |
           -----------------------------------

               ---------------------------
              |                           |
              |      OpenBSD GW           |
              |                           |
               ---------------------------
               /                          \
      --------------               ------------------
      |  SW 1      |               |      SW 2      |
      |(stp root)  |               | (stp fallback) |
      --------------               ------------------
              \                           /
               \                         /
                  --------------------
                  |     subnet       |
                  --------------------

The openbsd box should act as an IP gateway for the subnet. I bridged
two NICS, one goes into sw1, the other into sw2. I also want to give
this bridge an IP address, but that is not possible. So I

- tried to set a vlan on the bridge, (vlandev bridge0), but this is not
possible ( SIOCSETVLAN: Protocol not supported). The switches see each
other and root sw is elected.

- tried to set a failover trunk on the bridge member interfaces and set
the vlan on that. Packets are being forwarded then, but STP does not work
(switches don't see each other)

How should I go about this?

Thanks,

Arjen.