Vinicius Vianna wrote:

> If you wanna route packets from the internet to the SW's, you need
> some IP on the OpenBSD's interfaces to the switches.
> I remember being able to set IP addresses on bridged interfaces with
> ifconfig, don't know if this is a good approach but was usable in the
> time.

I also did that, set IP addresses on the physical interfaces. I gave
them both the same IP address (since the subnet behind it needs that as
default gateway), but when I pulled out the cable to the master switch
the inet routing table kept pointing towards the NIC that just went
down, and I haven't figured out a way to set the same route on two
different interfaces.

> Maybe your best approach is to set a trunk between the switches, if
> you wanna redundancy, maybe there's a need for two openbsd firewalls,
> one on each switch?

I also tried a trunk on both nics. STP went away and the switches did
not see each other (as said below). Adding a second firewall is in the
planning, but I first want to get it to work with one firewall.

> Or are you using different subnet's in the switches, and the openbsd
> try to decide who is up to forward the packets (like some rdr rules on
> pf?).
I would like to set it up as transparant as possible, redirecting
packages in case of path failover is the last thing I want to  do.

In Linux (and a friend of mine was nearly certain to have also done it
with freebsd) I can set an IP on an ehternet bridge. I chose openbsd for
carp and pfsync which I use on the external interface (no STP here) for
failover with the to-be-added second firewall.

Thanks,
Arjen.