On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 04:34:49PM +0200, Zbigniew Baniewski wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 02:51:32PM +0200, Dusty wrote:
>
> > I use Seamonkey. It works.
> > Why use Seamonkey? It is more resource friendly than running
> > Firefox+Thunderbird+whatever.
>
> Both are starting in about the same - long - time: 20 seconds...  :/
> (Pentium II 400, 256 MB RAM, SATA drive, OpenBSD 4.2)
>
> Perhaps someone could make a tip, how could I make that start-up period
> shorter? Yes, I know: "buy new hardware". Any other available solutions?
>
> There should be the other ones; on the NetBSD 3.1 Firefox is ready to work
> in about 4 seconds... quite a difference, isn't it?
> --
>                               pozdrawiam / regards
>
>                                               Zbigniew Baniewski

There is a system already present in OpenBSD called prebind (see ldconfig(8))
that does this type of speedup, however the ports integration was never
finished. Most of the issue with ports was that the mechanism used modifies
the md5 values for each binary and library. If the md5 package checking
mechanism could detect the prebind data and 'ignore' it, then the md5 values
could be verified.

While no problems with the full system scan of prebind, the update mode
(which ports would use) may have had a problem.

Dale Rahn                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]