bofh wrote:

> There's also Steve Wozniak - my hero - and a hacker after the best
> traditions.  He's the guy who gave away schematics to Apple I, when they
> were trying to sell it, gave away source code to DOS (DOS has always been
> Disk Operating System for the Apple IIs to me, MSDOS being the crappy one),
> etc.

The schematics and source code even came with the Apple II and, IIRC,
the Apple II+.  It was a huge foldout in the book containing (IIRC) the
monitor code and the full 6502 instruction set.  You could mod the
hardware in anyway imaginable (at the time).  I tried out stepper
motors, data acquisition, custom ROMs, etc.  The software was the same,
I made primitive mods to many applications, but also even DOS and the
system itself.

That was one of the things I missed greatly during the proprietary phase
that some unixes and Apple later passed through.

While vastly more complex and useful than the Apple II+, OpenBSD brings
back the customization and usefulness of software (as do several other
systems).  However, as far as I can tell, it is rather far ahead in
cleanly understandable and well-done components that play well together.

Regards,
-Lars