On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 7:37 AM, David Newman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  but I'm confused about the 'chown nobody:www' part. I don't get how
>  users would be able to upload files with those permissions.

Depends.

If they are uploading via a web interface, then you need your web
server to be able to write to the file system not the user.  In this
case it would be up to your web interface to work out if they have
access to different files or not.

One of the other ways is letting them FTP into the box the files the
need.  In this case, simply FTP chrooting them to their home directory
(see /etc/ftpchroot ) and then having this directory accessible read
only by your web server would be fine.  In which case the permissions
would be user_name:www

Make sense?

Mikel