2008/5/4 Marco Peereboom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Yes.  NVIDIA refuses to make a useful open source driver.  It is barely
>  functional and it generally sucks really really bad.  Stay away from
>  NVIDIA when doing open source.

Yes I know about this binary blob. Even FreeBSD users are forced to
use i386 on an AMD64 system just to use their damn blob.

Actually I used to run Linux on this computer so I can play with the
3D Compiz and stuff... but I just decided to switch to OpenBSD anyway,
because I think in the long term, running a blob free system is the
way to go.

But economically-wise, I would like to keep as many current hardware
as possible... because I thought the NV driver would at least have
good 2D support for getting through working with a simple desktop
environment, such as Xfce4.

In the end I guess it just boils down to the question that many people
have asked before... are there any down-to-Earth, non-fancy graphics
card you can get these days that works well with OSS, when you just
want a speedy desktop and don't particularly care about the 3D Compiz
stuff... is ATi really the way to go, if you just want a straight
forward desktop? Have ATi (or anyone) really got their docs going
without NDA, and are there actually exists drivers for them in the
latest release of OpenBSD. (4.3-release)

I mean, while I do want to keep as much hardware as possible, I can
still afford to buy one or two components, if they are actually truly
supporting OSS, it is a form of voting with my wallet I guess.