On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:50:37 -0700
Scott Learmonth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > As someone else who writes code for this fine os would say: removing
> > drivers is pure masturbation.
>
> Hah, perfect.
>
> As a first foray into BSD I stumbled upon FreeBSD. To make it do what
> I wanted, step one was to compile a custom kernel. BOOYAH, I got a
> geek-on.
>
> A few months later I had chosen OpenBSD, and have never looked back.
> Sure, tinkering is what we do in may ways (n00b or dev, computer guts
> are what we like), and what better tinker-tool than 5 minutes picking
> drivers and a 3 hour compile? But you know what? GENERIC "just works".
> And the REALLY beautiful thing, is that config "just works" too for
> kernel configuration. You can even write your changes to the kernel
> permanently, saving all that compile time. I'm not versed enough to
> know if a config modified kernel provides the same, um, savings as a
> custom kernel if you used it to remove drivers however.
>
> Cheers

I had an incident with a 4.1+ snapshot where in order to get some
customer config to work I needed to build a "GENERIC" OBSD system
from scratch with some patch code.  This was only somewhat more
complicated than building a custom FreeBSD kernel.  The "monolithic"
OBSD build methodology is only good most of the time, and when it
isn't, it's a bit of a bear.

Dhu