-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Khalid Schofield
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:34
To: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: OpenSSL On Openbsd help

Hi,
I need to get a proper signed ssl certificate for  my ecommerce website
hosted on my openbsd box. Getting confused as most websites describe how
to do this in many different ways and most refere to self signed
certificates. Wanted to ask the experts before I go and throw $100 at the
task.

So do I have to use pass phrases when generating the certificate? If I use
a pass phrase why? How does it effect the certificate and it's use?

Also if I use a pass phrase do I have to tell apache about it? Does it go
in a config or do I have to enter it when reloading apache?

Also what command do you use to do this? Please tell all :)

One last thing who would you recomend to sign my csr?

Thanks sorry for the stupid questions but I've never done this before and
risked my actual money (only the companies).

For info. I'm integrating google checkout into my website to do payments.
Not done this before but paypal is charging me an arm and a leg.

Khalid
==========================

If, as you've indicated, you're going to use the cert for e-commerce, then
self-signed is NOT the way to go.

FREE, no cost, non-testing, one-year SSLs are available from
http://cert.startcom.org.  starcom's root CA is "recognized" by the major
browsers and should satisfy your needs.

There is a registration process -- starcom must be convinced that you
control the domains and then sites that you're applying to get certs for.

This can take a bit of time and there are a few pre-requisites.

Also, if it matters to you, starcom is not North American.

/S