F. Caulier wrote:
> I just discovered 'window' in base, a very usefull
> tool!
> I was used to install 'screen' to get a terminal
> multiplexer but as I found 'window' which gives me
> multiplexing without 'screen's' bloat and restrictive
> license.
>
> Just two questions:
>
> Is there an example.windowrc available somewhere or
> would someone be so kind a send me his own customized
> one?
> I already searched the web on this but couldn't find
> much.

yes, the name "window" is highly unfortunate when it
comes to using search engines, as I recall.  Here is
something I ultimately came up with, based on something
I found...don't ask me where or how.  It is admittedly
imperfect, but it did the job.
====
/home/nick $ more .windowrc

close all

myrows = $nrow - 2
mycols = ( $ncol / 2 ) - 1

window ( 1, 1, $myrows, 80 )
# "80" in following command should be $mycols, but we'll just chop long lines
window ( 1 , $mycols + 2 , $myrows, 80)

label ( 1, "dvd0 (top drive)" )
label ( 2, "dvd1 (bottom drive)" )

write 1 "sleep 1 ; chkdrv 0\n"
#write 1, $mycols $myrows
write 2 "sleep 6 ; chkdrv 1\n"
====

it creates two windows in the current screen, with a
split down the middle.  It then starts a program called
"chkdrv" with a different parameter in each of the
windows.

It's a starting point.  And no, I don't really recall
what the comment meant. :)

This was for an app which burned a pair of DVDs regularly,
and I wanted to have the final output of each burn to be
left on the screen.

I did ultimately replace this use of "window" with running
X, auto-launching a pair of xterms running the app.  I
found it easier for normal users to see and look through
the output.

Nick.