IANAL...

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 03:43:09AM +1000, Sunnz wrote:
| Hi, just wondering what's your opinion on this...
|
| If one were to release some code under an ISC or BSD-like 2 clause
| license, but under the name of anonymous, would it effectively as if
| it was released as public domain?

Well .. as the author of a work, you are the copyright holder to it.
If you then release it under some permissive license, you basically
give up some of the rights that copyright gives you, granting others
a license to copy, modify and/or redistribute etc. Using ISC or
BSD-like licenses, you indicate that you want to keep some (very
basic) but give up most rights.

So you want the world to know that *you* want to retain some rights
but not who you are ? That does not compute. Who wants to retain those
rights exactly ?

Seems to me like a legal can of worms you do not want to open.

In answer to your question, my guess would be no. I would guess that
effectively you've given up no rights whatsoever and that the license
is void if it lists an alias or 'anonymous' as the creator of the
work.

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/