Hi William,

I don't know for sure, but I remember dealing with this kind of problem and setting preempt did work, maybe worth a try:

/etc/sysctl.conf:
net.inet.carp.preempt=1

Anyone else?

HTH,
Vinicius

William Stuart escreveu:
(Sorry if this is a dupe, not sure if you had to be a subscriber to send to the list)

Hello all,

I am a new to OpenBSD but not *nix in general...

I have two systems running OpenBSD 4.2. It has 9 carp interfaces, and has been running fine for months. All of a sudden, both systems are in BACKUP state.

I halted one of the systems then on the remaining system rebooted, shut down and restarted, run "ifconfig carp1 state master", changed the sysctls, removed the hostname files, rebooted, then replaced the hostname files, fiddled with the advskew and lots of other things.

Even with no other system running, carp will not go into MASTER state, period, no errors, no logs.

I tried setting net.inet.carp.log=1 and 2 and 1000, I see no logs anywhere in /var/log.

Anything else I can look at?

William