Markus Wernig wrote:
Hi

Are you sure that all the interfaces you have configured carp on have link and can connect to each other? (I've seen similar behaviour caused by defective NICs: receive buffer not receiving while send buffer still sending - try ping on all interfaces) Is lo up? Is there any other router on the same network segment that propagates the same VHID with a better metric (i suppose that a VRRP router on the same net could cause trouble if it uses the same VHIDs).

no answers, just questions, I know ...

hth /markus
Don't mind the questions! Just hoping someone will ask one where I say, "I am such an IDIOT! Why didn't I think of that!"

Yes, it had link (I was ssh'ing to the configured interface). They can connect to each other (I would assume if they couldn't see each other I would have a MASTER/MASTER issue and not a BACKUP/BACKUP issue), I ended up halting one of them to see if I can get just one to go MASTER when it was alone, no dice. I did a tcpdump and did not see any other VRRP traffic.