On 2008-07-22, Duncan Patton a Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:04:59 -0600
> Theo de Raadt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> > These are both local machines, why would DNS be required?
>>
>> Because in the modern world DNS -- or any other kind of reliable
>> name->address + address->name mapping -- is required.
>>
>> You might as well get used to it.
>>

> Yes, but why does DNS need to  talk to "God" above?

I guess you mean "why does DNS need to talk externally to look up
an internal address"? (in the case of this thread, an rfc1918 address).
If that is what you mean, it's because the DNS server is misconfigured,
it should not be sending requests for 168.192.in-addr.arpa and others
externally, sometimes it will work, sometimes not, depends on how
AS112 is on your part of the net (but you shouldn't rely on them
anyway).