On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Matthew Weigel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Neko wrote:
>
>> this is the future. people use multiple os on their machine
>
> That's actually the past... multibooting seemed way more popular ten years ago
> than now.  I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that most people - even
> if their machine is set up to boot multiple systems - really just use one OS
> per computer.

have you done any analysis of statistical data in order to say so?
otherwise all those "way more popular", "most people" it is a big IYHO.

>  On the other hand, CIFS/NFS network storage devices are cheap,
> and people can use them whether they dual boot, or simply have multiple
> machines on their network.  Then too, a lot of people just use boring old
> thumb drives to store data that all their systems can use.

well with NFS i'd agree, in case there is a robust free NFS implementation
for MS Windows (haven't looked for that myself, as I don't seem to have NFS
storage in my home LAN).

WRT thumb drives, well they still need some FS to be on them, and
fat32 would be a winner (for actual primitiveness thus being supported
by anyone), but there is a serious (these days it is) limitation like
limited maximal size of a file like 2G (must be 2^31-1 perhaps).
actually NTFS seems the *only* sufficiently capable FS within the
Microsoft products these days...