Chris wrote:
> I'm trying to install OBSD 4.4-release on this desktop which has two
> hard disks of around 465 GB each. If I install on wd0 with only one
> partition (/) of 10GB, the installation goes smoothly. But if I try to
> allocate /tmp (20g), /home (100g), / (50g), /var (50g), /usr (50g),
> swap (3g), the installation hangs after the last file set is installed
> (xserv44.tgz): it just sits there and I cannot use my keyboard
> anymore. I have waited for about 2 hours for the installation to
> proceed to the next step but nothing. Here's my dmesg; Thanks for any
> help.

1) Having installed OpenBSD on a lot of 500G disks, I think I can
say with confidence the size of the disk is not your problem.

2) in an earlier message you indicated that there was some kind of
RAID on this system, I think it is safe to say that it is a BIOS-assisted
software RAID, which COULD be causing you problems if it is still
configured in the BIOS.  And even if it isn't causing this problem,
it WILL bite you in the future when the BIOS decides top copy something
from one drive to the other...

So, start by disabling the BIOS "RAID" do-hickey thing and unplug
the second drive.  I suspect you will have no problems then.

Once you convince yourself the size of the drive is not directly
an issue, I'd suggest starting over with a more sane partitioning
plan.  Just because you have a cheap 500G disk doesn't mean you
need to allocate all or most of it.  For one, the bigger the disk,
the longer it takes to fsck after you trip over the power cord.

Nick.