> if you continue to do stuff like that, then eventually you will
> have such problems.

> p.s. 13+ years experience system management with NeXT, SunOS{4.x,5.x},
>      MacOS, OpenBSD (2.2 to present), Linux, OSF1/Tru64.

Gee, I've been using bash as root's shell for more than 13 years
on NetBSD, and for a few years on FreeBSD.  Zero problems.
Before that I used ksh (the original ksh), and I recall discussions
back in the 1980s about using ksh for root.  I think some people
even installed it as /bin/sh.

If you write shell scripts that depend on being run by a specific
shell, you are supposed to use the #! thing.

Like many things in Unix, you are using power tools.  If you change
root's shell, you need to know what you are doing.  Remember that
you might find yourself in single user mode with nothing but the
root partition mounted.  Hence my comment previously about having
a statically linked copy of bash in /bin if you want bash as your
root shell.

Sorry, no list of Unix variants.  After using Unix for over 30 years
the list is just too long.  And some of them I'd rather forget.