On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Nick Holland
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jesse Zbikowski wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toor
>
> Did you actually READ that article?  say, maybe, end part under "Security
> Considerations"?

Yup.  Did you read it as well, or did you just assume that because
there is a part called "Security Considerations" there is no way to do
it securely?

> IF you do as you propose, you will get warning messages out of the daily
> security checks.

True.  I do not know if you can selectively disable the warning for a
single "known good" toor account, or if you have to shut the warnings
off entirely.  I would hope the first case is true.  Otherwise this is
a bad design for the security check, and should be fixed.

> The developers have decided to look for duplicate IDs as part of their daily
> security checks.  You have decided you know better.

The OpenBSD developers do a good job producing a general purpose
system which can be adapted by their users to their own particular
needs.  I have a particular need which requires a separate /etc/passwd
entry for toor.  I am curious if there is any real reason not to do
this besides the fact that it triggers a meaningless warning.

To give you more background about my use case, if you really want to
know: I need not only a custom shell but a custom home directory.  I
ssh -X in to the remote host and run a program as root, and this
program displays a window on my local X server. Therefore the program
needs to create a $HOME/.Xauthority, but the root username has $HOME
as /root which is mounted readonly.  Obviously there are a million and
one ways to script around this problem, but adding a toor account was
straightforward.