Gregory Edigarov wrote:
> Well, what's your needs?

Initially very simple needs.  I need to be able to prove/disprove
rudimentary availability.  Basically like a layer 7 ping, checking that
the port is responding with the correct protocol:

  ssh is answering yes/no.
  imap is answering yes/no.
  imaps is answering yes/no.
  https, etc.

I can see that a year or so it will be more complex:

 mysql (specific db) responding to queries y/n
 postgresql (specific db) responding to queries y/n
 z39.50 (specific db) responding to queries y/n
 ldap (specific directory) responding to queries y/n

> If nagios seems to be an overhead - I would recommend a nice daemon
> called 'monit'.  I like it very much because of the ease of setup and
> support it offers.

Thanks.
http://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html

Regards,