On 2009-01-16, Lars Noodin <larsnoo...@openoffice.org> wrote:
> Gregory Edigarov wrote:
>> Well, what's your needs?
>
> Initially very simple needs.  I need to be able to prove/disprove
> rudimentary availability.  Basically like a layer 7 ping, checking that
> the port is responding with the correct protocol:
>
>   ssh is answering yes/no.
>   imap is answering yes/no.
>   imaps is answering yes/no.
>   https, etc.
>
> I can see that a year or so it will be more complex:
>
>  mysql (specific db) responding to queries y/n
>  postgresql (specific db) responding to queries y/n
>  z39.50 (specific db) responding to queries y/n
>  ldap (specific directory) responding to queries y/n

I came up with the idea to use relayd for that too, for simple cases it
seems like it could be a good fit. With a few changes or a wrapper you
could even use nagios plugins to do the actual checks (unfortunately
the return codes are the wrong way round to use them directly as things
stand now; nagios plugins return 0 for success, "check script" expects
0 for failure).

>> If nagios seems to be an overhead - I would recommend a nice daemon
>> called 'monit'.  I like it very much because of the ease of setup and
>> support it offers.
>
> Thanks.
> http://mmonit.com/monit/documentation/monit.html

/usr/ports/sysutils/monit. It's quite keen on having pid files though.