Hello all patient!
Another clarification attempt :)
I have a drive. Lets call it wd0. It has one partition wd0d that fills up
the whole drive. The root of wd0d has three directories (and no other
files) music, pictures and others. wd0d is mounted at /bananas

The music directory of wd0d grows and suddenly needs more space than
available on wd0. I add a new drive wd1 and create wd1d with all available
space. I copy everything in wd0d/music to wd1d.

I still want the same structure as before, but i dont want to mount wd1d
in a directory that is inside wd0d.

If mount would accept something like

mount /bananas/pictures /dev/wd0d/pictures
mount /bananas/others /dev/wd0d/others
mount /bananas/music /dev/wd1d

my problem would be solved.

> On 16/01/2009, at 10:46 AM, Jon Sjvstedt wrote:
>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Jon Sjvstedt
>>> <d00...@dtek.chalmers.se>

>>> Syntax of your mount commands is a bit strange... according to
>>> mount(8) the first argument should be a 'special' device, like
>>> /dev/wd0a, not a regular directory.
>> Clarification attempt: I know that mount wants a device like /dev/wd0d,
>> but my example was an atempt to explain what I want to archive. I want
>> mounting point in the root file system to be mounted with a directory
>> found inside a device that is not yet mounted. I also want this
>> transparent to samba and NFS (I'll use both).
>>
>> It would be perfectly ok to use more programs than mount to solve this

>>> If each datax directory has it's own partition it's perfectly
>>> possible.
>> The thing is that I want these mounted directories to share a disk (or
>> partition) until they both cant fit. Then, the biggest one have to move
>> away. If my ideas get to work, I only have to change the device of the
>> mounting, not the mounting point.
>>>
>>> However, it seems to me that (from your example above) 'dataa' and
>>> 'datab' are on the same partition, and, from mount(8): "For disk
>>> partitions, the special device must correspond to a partition
>>> registered in the disklabel(5).", so no deal.
>

> I'm still not understanding what you want or what the problem is. This
> appears to me to be a perfectly ordinary mounting situation.
>
> If you have a bunch of dirs, data[1-2], as subdirectories of /stuff,
> then you can put whatever you want in these. Then, at some point you
> can mount a different volume on any of these and the path will remain
> as /stuff/datax. If you wish to then change the mounted volume, just
> change your fstab or mount command as appropriate.
> This will work with samba and nfs, as long as your smb.conf and exports
> are set up correctly, and is a perfectly ordinary situation, as I said.
>
> I'm confused by:
>> I want a mounting point in the root file system to be mounted with a
>> directory
>> found inside a device that is not yet mounted.
>
> Do you want to hierarchically mount filesystems? This seems very odd.
>
> Have I somehow misunderstood?
>

> paulm

<-------------------------------------------->
The d00...@dtek.chalmers.se email address will
eventually be abandoned during 2009. Please use
addresses below instead
Jon Sjvstedt           _O_
Godvddersgatan 52     /(|)\
418 38 GVTEBORG      |  H  |