On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 11:10:23AM +0100, Jon Sj?stedt wrote:
> Hello all patient!
> Another clarification attempt :)
> I have a drive. Lets call it wd0. It has one partition wd0d that fills up
> the whole drive. The root of wd0d has three directories (and no other
> files) music, pictures and others. wd0d is mounted at /bananas
>
> The music directory of wd0d grows and suddenly needs more space than
> available on wd0. I add a new drive wd1 and create wd1d with all available
> space. I copy everything in wd0d/music to wd1d.
>
> I still want the same structure as before, but i dont want to mount wd1d
> in a directory that is inside wd0d.

Why not? I never had any problems with it.

> If mount would accept something like
>
> mount /bananas/pictures /dev/wd0d/pictures
> mount /bananas/others /dev/wd0d/others
> mount /bananas/music /dev/wd1d
>
> my problem would be solved.

mount /dev/wd0d /bananas
mount /dev/wd1d /bananas/music

that would be my solution. What's so bad about not mounting under root
that you don't want it?

If you want everything to be mounted under the root:

mount /dev/wd0d /bananas
mount /dev/wd0d /bananas_music
ln -s /bananas_music /banasas/music

The symlink is unacceptable to you, it seems, because of nfs and smb
exports.

The other option I mentioned, using ccd and growfs, seems to be very
well suited for you. But I'm repeating myself.

Ariane