On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Diana Eichert <deich...@wrench.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Tony Berth wrote:
>

>>>  I just realised that my graph wasn't readable so I'll try here to
>> re-draw
>> it:
>>
>> -------------
>> client [a1]
>> -------------
>> -------------
>> Firewall
>> Proxy:port
>> [a2]
>> ------------
>> (internet)
>> -----------------
>> remote server
>> with static IP
>> [a3]
>> ----------------
>>
>> Hope that this one will help to draw some attention from the list.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tony

>> Hi Diana,
>>
>> The 'a2' is rather a logical entity. Actually there are 2 machines. One
>> blocking all direct traffic to the Internet and the other is a proxy which
>> address is included in the 'a1's' browser in order to be able to access
>> the
>> Internet!
>>
>> Hope I did answer your question!
>>
>> Thanks Tony
>>

> Tony
>
> First, I put on my corporate network security hat on.  If you're trying to
> get around corporate policies you're setting yourself up for other problem
> if they catch you.  We find you doing this where I work and ... .
>
> Second my helpful reply.  :-)
>
> Ok, so you don't know the specifics of the proxy.  The reason I ask is if
> it's a MITM proxy, ala Bluecoat, the proxy actually looks at the session
> contents.  If the packets don't look like proper allowed traffic it gets
> blocked.
>
> If it's a dumb proxy you might be able to get through using something like
> httptunnel.  Stating "access the Internet" doesn't explain what kind of
> traffic is allowed, however my assumption ( I hate to assume ) is they
> only want to allow http / https traffic, with perhaps ftp traffic too.
>
> diana

Hi Diana,

this is a 'dumb' proxy and allows http/https traffic only. So ports 80 and
443!

What I'm after is the ssh command I have to issue in order to open a
connection from 'a1' to 'a3'! If I read correctly, in case I would have used
putty on 'a1' I should do the following:

http://meinit.nl/using-putty-and-an-http-proxy-to-ssh-anywhere-through-firewalls

I was wondering if ssh flag '-L' is doing the same job.

By 'httptunnel' you mean the following:

http://www.jumperz.net/index.php?i=2&a=0&b=0

Thanks

Tony