2009/3/20 Markus Hennecke <markus-henne...@markus-hennecke.de>:
> Guido Tschakert wrote:
>>
>> the question is: do you use the vmware-tools from server 2.0 and if you do
>> so, how did you manage it?
>
> No, we are running server 1.0.8 for our OpenBSD vmware installations. We
> have some laptops with our Windows client software that needs fast access to
> a database on an OpenBSD server. All setup for evaluation of the whole
> packet. So we need the ability to gracefully shutdown the vm if the laptop
> is powered down. The vm must start when the laptop is started. It is a setup
> for users with low skills on computers (medical personel mostly), so the
> ability to start and shut down a vm is not something I can expect.
>
> OpenBSD 4.4 or newer will run happily with the vmware server 2.0, but no
> automatic shutdown is a real show stopper.

VMware Workstation 6 and VMware Server 2 provide command line options
for controlling specific VM's with the vmrun command.

http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/ws/vmrunCommand.pdf

You could script VM suspends for when the host is being shutdown and
VM unsuspends when the host starts up.  I use vmrun to shut VM's down
to prepare them to be rsync'ed with remote copies.

Shane