kell...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm trying to have everything except /home mounted on wd0, with /home
> mounted on a RAID 1 array comprising wd1a and wd2a.  There are no other
> partitions on wd1 and wd2.  (Unless you count the c partition.)
>
> I tried to prepare wd1 and wd2 with:
> # fdisk -i wd1
> # disklabel -E wd1
> and following the prompts.  After writing the disklabel, here's the
> output:
> # disklabel wd1
> # Inside MBR partition 3: type A6 start 63 size 488392002
> # /dev/rwd1c:
> type: ESDI
> disk: ESDI/IDE disk
> label: WDC WD2500AAJB-0
> flags:
> bytes/sector: 512
> sectors/track: 63
> tracks/cylinder: 255
> sectors/cylinder: 16065
> cylinders: 30401
> total sectors: 488397168
> rpm: 3600
> interleave: 1
> trackskew: 0
> cylinderskew: 0
> headswitch: 0           # microseconds
> track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
> drivedata: 0
>
> 16 partitions:
> #                size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
>   a:        488392002               63    RAID
>   c:        488397168                0  unused      0     0
>
> So far so good.  Following some advice I found on the web [1][2], I
> continued with:
> # newfs wd1a

I looked.  Your "advice" does not tell you to newfs your raw RAID
partition.  Go read it again.

I REALLY recommend UNDERSTANDING how this works, not just blindly
following someone's recipe.  That's the difference between a RAID
system that will save you a lot of downtime vs. one that will CAUSE
you a lot of downtime.  You are definitely working on "cause" right
now.

you MUST understand how your RAID system works, otherwise you WILL
lose data and time.

Nick.