Nick Holland wrote (04/21/09 21:39):
> I looked.  Your "advice" does not tell you to newfs your raw RAID
> partition.  Go read it again.
>
> I REALLY recommend UNDERSTANDING how this works, not just blindly
> following someone's recipe.

You're right -- on both counts.

Emailing the list was an attempt to get from the "blindly following"
stage to the "understanding" stage.  Now the that newfs issue is cleared
up, here's another question:  the author of a page I cited writes, "In my
experience I couldn't the 'a' partition to become of type FS_RAID."  But
according to my disklabel output, it looks like I was able to do this:

# disklabel wd1
# Inside MBR partition 3: type A6 start 63 size 488392002
# /dev/rwd1c:
type: ESDI
disk: ESDI/IDE disk
label: WDC WD2500AAJB-0
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 30401
total sectors: 488397168
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
drivedata: 0

16 partitions:
#                size           offset  fstype [fsize bsize  cpg]
  a:        488392002               63    RAID
  c:        488397168                0  unused      0     0