STeve Andre' wrote:
> On Monday 04 May 2009 17:56:43 L. V. Lammert wrote:
> > Been trying to build a replacement HD for a system, .. and it seems
> > impossible to verify whether a disk is bad or not (having
> wasted some hours
> > rsync'ing data only to have the HD lock up the system when
> doing the final
> > rsync).
> >
> > What is the best way to do a surface analysis on a disk?
> badsect seems like
> > a holdover from MB-sized disks, and it doesn't do any analysis.
> >
> >     TIA,
> >
> >     Lee
>
> The best way is to get a new disk.  I'm serious.  Disks are
> cheap enough, and
> the value of whats on them is high enough that if you think
> its going, get a
> new one.  Even if this is a hobby system, I'd do that.
>
> There is disk testing software from the OEMs you can use.
>
> But if you think its acting weird don't trust it.
>
> --STeve Andre'

There is, in the e2fsprogs package, something called badblocks.
I have used it (on Linux) to "rescue" bad disks.
(Windows laptops  -- kinda redundant?)

If you care about your data, follow Steve's advice.

The reality seems to be that this does exercise a disk's ability
to relocate bad sectors so that a bad disk suddenly goes good.
This is using a destructive surface test  (badblocks -sw ...)
Realistically, seems like the most reliable test is that disk is slower
than it should be.

Me, if I want to rely on a disk drive, I will run badblocks on it.
The long-winded destructive test
And I will time it, at least sporadically.
(New disks are not immune from having problems ;-)
The exercise maybe loses out to watching grass grow.