At 10:32 PM 5/4/2009 -0400, Steve Shockley wrote:
On 5/4/2009 5:56 PM, L. V. Lammert wrote:
What is the best way to do a surface analysis on a disk? badsect seems
like a holdover from MB-sized disks, and it doesn't do any analysis.

MHDD might do what you want:

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/

I haven't used it, but Victoria (http://hdd-911.com/) might be useful if you can read Russian.

Gibson's Spinrite is okay to check a drive but he tries to imply that what he does is way more complicated than it really is. That, and the author is a weenie media whore.

I rarely see a bad drive lock up the system on modern machines without timeout messages on the console, etc. Your controller or cable may be suspect if the drive passes all the tests you throw at it.

Some good options, .. seems like all are DOS, however <g>!! I guess that's no big deal if you're rebooting for the analysis, but it does not seem 'right'!

        Lee