I give up!
I wasn't able to have good looking msfonts without antialias.

So, I activated font antialias in my desktop. In this way the msfonts in "normal" mode are rendered correctly, that is they appear exactly as they would under Windows. The problem is with the "bold" texts: they take up more space, the characters seems to be more spaced, then under Windows.

Is it a known difference?
Is there a way to make bold fonts appear exactly as they do in Windows?

Thanks.

Federico Giannici wrote:
For my work I have to look at web pages EXACTLY as they appear on Windows (with the same appearance, dimension and spacing).

With OpenBSD 4.1, I disabled fonts antialias and recompiled the FreeType library with the patented TrueType hinting. It worked perfectly, and msttcorefonts appear exactly as they do on Windows.

Now I tried to upgraded my desktop PC to OpenBSD 4.5, but I wasn't able to activate the TrueType hinting.

I have commented out the "#define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_UNPATENTED_HINTING" line in "xenocara/lib/freetype/include/freetype/config/ftoption.h" and recompiled the library. The change had some effect because the library changed it's size, but there was NO change in font appearance.

I tried with Firefox, Thunderbid, Pidgin... They all continue to show ugly fonts (without hints).

What I missed?
Please give me any hint, I cannot remain with 4.1 forever... :-(

Thanks.

    __
   |-                      giann...@neomedia.it