>> No label changes.
>
> Wait.  Don't you see what is wrong above?
>
> Let me guess.  The last time you used this disk, partition d was your
> /home partition, right, and i is /var?

Nope.

Here is the standard setup on a truck load of servers. All use the same
partition table, unless there is a very special need.

I try to keep them all similar as much as possible and I do all fresh install
every 6 months (not upgrade) using the sitexx.tgz files. It's more work to keep
the sitexx.tgz files in sync, but at the same time, it provide for quick install
and always run clean fresh install, plus should one server blow up, putting one
back in service is just less the 10 minutes away max. And it force anyone to
keep documentation of the setup, or changes of it by needing to keep sitexx.tgz
in order.

Here is an example here for fstab:

# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/wd0a / ffs rw 1 1
/dev/wd0i /data ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0h /home ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0d /tmp ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0g /usr ffs rw,nodev 1 2
/dev/wd0e /var ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
/dev/wd0f /var/log ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2

> We don't know what partition to mount where.

That I totally agree, but when I do the custom, and make no changes to the
partition table, then why does it come back asking me to redo it instead of keep
going and then I can re-enter the old mount name in the old partitions as it
used to be?

Same results with edit auto label as well. I can pass this pass deleting all and
recreating all, but before (4.5 and before) I could keep the same label, and yes
I needed to enter the mount point in label, witch was fine and I have no issue
with that or doing it.

> You failed to fill in the information, using at least the 'm' command,
> and then when you quit disklabel it correctly says:

Theo, I failed to follow you here. Sorry if that's obvious, but I fail to see
it. The man page does say the m command is to modify parameters for an existing
partition. I am not creating a new one, but just want to use the old one and I
have no problem if I need to re inter the mount point obviously as it needed to
be done as well before. But it doesn't allow me to do so IF I do not make
changes to the partition table. It does force me to do m for each partition, not
changing any data other then entering the mount point. Before, I could pass this
and just enter the mount point and keep going.

So, I have redone it to test it and yes, I can use the m for each partitions and
not modify any data for the partition size and all and just provide the mount
point then when I write it and quit, it does continue the process as before. But
this wasn't required before. So, if one wants to keep the same partition then
before, what would be the best way then? I thought that it would be logical to
do the custom selection, not making any changes to the partition table as before
and then when save, just needed to type the mount point and move on. But I can't
do that now without needed to use the m for each partition, not making any
changes to the partition size, offset and all and then provide the mount point.

>> '/' must be configured!
>
> Read what it says.
>
> The nice install script then nicely goes back to trying to see if you
> will learn to read next time.

I am sure not saying it's not nice. It is very nice and I like the new way for
sure.

I just never used to have the need to do this before. It previous version allow
me to provide the name after no changes where done in the partition and the
system didn't know what the partition were instead of going back to it asking to
redo it all.

That part of the previous install made more sense to me, but I sure can do it
the new way. Instead of using the same partition table and then have to enter
the mount point for each one, now it needs to use m for each partition, keep the
setting the same for the size, offset and all and only enter the mount point
now.

It does add way more steps in that situation yes. Is that a big deal, no, just
wonder why or if there was a way to skip that to be like in previous version?

Wouldn't it make more sense if a custom setup is selected and no changes are
done to the partition label, then to be assume the partition itself wanted to be
kept intact and then only the mount label needed to be provided as before?

The short of it is if you make no changes to the partition table, yes the system
do not know what mount point you want, then why not only asked for the mount
point then when getting out of the custom disklable part?

That's how it was before. Is there really a need not to allow this?

I really have no problem either way, but just wonder why or if there was a way
to skip it.

That was the essence of my question.

Best,

Daniel